Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Bears

Bears Talk about about bears and how to keep them and you safe.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Default Bush bear

While on a site evaluation yesterday, he knew I was there

Old 09-01-2009, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Bush bear

how close were you when this picture was taken? how do the bears react when they know your present...and speaking of which, i've heard a lot of tales about how your supposed to act if your untrained and come in contact with a bear, but coming from an expert like yourself, what am i actually supposed to do?

gotta love that bully smile!

Calvin--"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?"
Hobbs--"I'm not sure that man needs the help."

Bill Watterson author of Calvin and Hobbs
Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

20 feet, he just walked away.

With black bears most of the time you just yell and they haul tail. You make some noise and they will run. However this bear was close to homes where they keep leaving trash out, so he was not as flighty as other bears. The thing with black bears is they become used to repetitive noises. If they are used to being around human dwellings you have to change tactics like air horn, pots and pans or some other noise.

You never run from a bear unless you are right next to an escape area=car or home etc. Running stimulates a chase response in bears (and other predators) even if they had no initial intent to cause harm to you. You will loose a foot race with a bear, they are horse fast. Never turn your back on a bear, always keep your eye on them and slowly back away while yelling at them.
If the bear comes forward to you, stop, stand your ground and make your self as big as you can and yell. Then continue to slowly back off and the bear should loose interest. Do not immediately drop to the ground and play dead if the bear has not attacked you. This may invite him to forage on you, black bears will eat dead things.
People get hurt when they surprise a bear, thats why you always make noise when walking in a bear area.
Bear attacks are very rare, when you consider the millions of campers and hikers there are every year in bear areas. There has only been a little over 200 deaths from bear attacks since we have been recording them.

Also, people tell me all the time they were approached by an aggressive bear that attacked them but did not grab them. What they experienced was a charge or "bluff charge" in most cases there was food involved or baby bears with a mama bear. Bears will often "clack" their teeth, snort or huff and pound the ground when they think you want what they want or just seeing you. It as if to say "leave me alone" or "I found this trash and you better not try and get it".

Feeding a bear causes the normal dynamics to change. When you feed a bear they immediately associate you as providing a food source. Imprinting and habituation follow suit and the bear will not stop coming around. If you stop feeding a bear after it is habitualized ,the situation becomes potentially dangerous.
Bears get very frustrated and angry when they cannot get food from a regular source and they become destructive. I have caught bears that have entered homes of the people that were feeding them or their neighbors home. Remember, if you hand a bear a cookie (someone showed me a pic of them doing this) the moment that bears lips touch that cookie it becomes his cookie. Now you have hold of his cookie and you could get whacked.

Last edited by Bear : 09-01-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Great advise! I hope you copy and paste that in your blog too!

I can do more with that advise than all those shows on TV that try to tell you what and what not to do when you encounter a bear or are in bear territory.

The reason is probably that I trust you a gazillion times more than any TV station and know your advise isn't BS or just a scare tactic.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
Great advise! I hope you copy and paste that in your blog too!

I can do more with that advise than all those shows on TV that try to tell you what and what not to do when you encounter a bear or are in bear territory.

The reason is probably that I trust you a gazillion times more than any TV station and know your advise isn't BS or just a scare tactic.

aw shucks, thank you
I forgot to mention this; if a bear stands up on its hind legs it does not mean it is angry and wants to attack. It means the bear is trying to figure out the situation and is nervous or scared.
This is shown in old movies and made to look like the bear is coming forward to attack=false

Last edited by Bear : 09-02-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Great advice and very well said. Almost like you have given this speech before! The only thing I would like to add is to make sure the bear always has a way out. Basically, make sure they can get away from you. As Fred mentioned, they generally don't want anything to do with us (unless they have been constantly fed by humans). As well, if for some reason a black bear does attack you then you need to start fighting back as playing dead will not work for black bears.

It is interesting to see the same trends with human-bear interactions all across North America. In Ontario, we had the same issues with people leaving food out and the bears becoming habituated. I have had a bear chase my truck down the road looking for a handout. As well, I too have had to trap bears that were ransacking people's houses because the food source was removed.

I guess through, all of my ramblings, I am just saying... Listen to Fred!