Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Bears

Bears Talk about about bears and how to keep them and you safe.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Default Bear program at risk

The bear response agent program was designed to help educate humans that live in bear areas how to responsibly co-habitate.

We do this by performing "site evaluations". Agents go out to the site where someone has called in about a bear in their area or on their property and we do an investigation to find out why the bear is coming to that said location.
Most often we find that the people are unintentionally attracting the bear in with pet food, garbage, bird feeders or some other attractant. Also unsecured livestock is another big attractant.

We educate the residents of these areas there by helping to solve the problem. Many people do not educate themselves about the responsibilities of living in a bear area. Through this program we have made a huge difference by contacting bear area residents. Also, potential severe bear/human incidences have been thwarted by informing these communities.

Agents also collect data from live and road killed bears for DNA and aging. This helps better conservation decisions in Tallahassee. We (agents) all are on 24/7 call to handle certain emergencies pertaining to bear/human situations.

In 2007 the decision to kill 4 out of 5 bears was made to decrease the number of "habitualized" bears.

A simple statistic to understand the number of bears being put down is, between 1975 and 2007 we euthanized 26 bears, since 2007, we have more than quadrupled that. Last count from biologist data is there are just over 3000 bears in the whole state. Most of the bears are here in central FL. Data is collected from live and road killed bears for DNA and aging. This helps better conservation decisions in Tallahassee. We (agents) all are on 24/7 call to handle certain emergencies pertaining to bear/human situations.

70% of the work biologists were involved in before the program was on bear calls, not their job description. This has free the biologists up so the can perform their field duties and wildlife management service. (impact studies/bio-counts)

The high ranking officials recently stated the we agents have done an impeccable job and made HUGE advances in bear/human awareness=their words.

However because of economic cut backs the program has run out of money and the program is slated to be shut down. If we loose the program, the bears will loose.

Without our efforts to educate the populous it will dramatically increase the chance of someone getting hurt or killed because of their ignorance or someone else's ignorance. Some people will still feed the bears and a fed bear is potentially dangerous and it WILL get the bear killed as well.

Because of the agents educating the public, the numbers of bears being destroyed have dropped almost to none. Also the results of our efforts have dramatically reduced the numbers of bear calls in bear areas. The Florida black bear remains on the threatened species list and is a valuable asset to the Florida wilds. It is an umbrella species and deserves to be here like everyone else.

The bottom line is, we need $50,000 to keep up this great effort and to help both man and beast.
All donations will go directly to the Bear Response Agent program.

Any questions feel free to contact me, thank you.

For information on how you can help, please contact fred@wildlife-education.com
www.wildlife-education.com

Last edited by Bear : 07-16-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Bear program at risk

Well, they say we got a little money for the whole state, heh heh. Thats no where near enough and they said that over a month ago and we still have not seen it. So hopefully the bear program will continue, I believe another agent will be able to hold out longer than me and get it done. I tried to hold on but it seems I lost out and unless something changes NOW, I am seeking different employment. Bills are kicken my butt lol. I will miss this job immensely, beyond words. I really enjoyed the job and did the best I could. I am 50 yrs. old but hopefully I can find something in this bad economy, me and about a billion other people. Sorry for wining, just a little bitter.

Last edited by Bear : 10-11-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, a last minute reprieve, sheesh. I was just notified of dramatic changes in Tallahassee=good ones. I cannot mention much right now but, basically the poop hit the fan. I am still employed and the future seems to be looking brighter. Weird how the universe works, a "bear conflict tech" position has been developed to educate state agencies and the capital on the dynamics of bears and humans living together. This program will force the development of state educational programs such living responsibly with wildlife etc.

Hopefully this program will help to make sure wildlife do not get lost in the shuffle and knee jerk reactions not being implemented as a panacea for wildlife in peril.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Holy macaroni, what a mess, but it seems to start work itself out. The program sounds very interesting!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog