Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Bears

Bears Talk about about bears and how to keep them and you safe.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default Cant keep a big bear down

This is a really big bear, I trapped him to save his life from angry towns people. We WERE going to knock him out and tag him, however this did not go as planned. The bear weighed approximately 580-600+ pounds. My biologist ended up injecting 3 doses of Telozol and he still would not go down. He was facing forward in the trap and at the very front.

The trap is on a boat trailer designed to tilt. The bear's weight was forward of center so when we attempted to tilt to slide him out, we could not lift the trap at all. I used an axe handle to assist lift, but it broke. I looked into the trap and all I saw was a huge bear butt, he was groggy but not down and he could not turn around in the trap easily being so big.

So I told her (the biologist) to lift the trap while I get in the trap and pull the bear by the butt. I climbed in the trap and got two hand fulls of bear butt and started pulling. I could see him trying to turn to look at who had him by the butt. I kept yanking and yanking slowly pulling him back further and further.

The problem was, being inside the trap I could not see where the "over center" area was . Jane (not her real name) was lifting at the same time I was pulling and all of a sudden everything went black. I had pulled the bear over center and with Jane lifting the whole trap went skyward. The door of the trap crashed down on my back, I thought, "thats gonna leave a mark". At the same time the bear came crashing on me rolling over top of me, I pushed and scrambled to my feet.

Jane got a catch poll and we attempted to pull him clear of the trap but could not. He swung out and I ended up between him and thick brush so I jumped over the bear. As I jumped the bear looked up at me, I remember looking down at him lol. Jane had grabbed her camera and took some pictures of him taking a breather. He never went down all the way and was up on his feet walking immediately after these pics. We were not able to tag him or anything.
I love my job.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Cant keep a big bear down

Wait, a 1500 mil is 1 1/2 liters, isn't it? That's almost half a gallon! WOOOW! And you just jumped over him...oh boy!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
Wait, a 1500 mil is 1 1/2 liters, isn't it? That's almost half a gallon! WOOOW! And you just jumped over him...oh boy!

lol, no, I did that wrong, mg/kg not mil. A single dose would be 6.8 mg/kg and he was given 3 doses. But with bears you have to guess their weight and most times you end up under dosing. You can give a whole lot of Telozol they just sleep longer, but not 1.5 liters lol. Thats why I dont do the doses lol.
Thanks
Old 06-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Ooooh ok! looool

I don't do the dosing either, always have somebody else double check if it's something that an animal can overdose on. Having grown up with the metric system, I'll never get used to the American Way loool.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-26-2009, 06:36 AM

is that the trap in the backround of the pic?? how do you get a bear in a trap in the first place?

gotta love that bully smile!

Calvin--"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?"
Hobbs--"I'm not sure that man needs the help."

Bill Watterson author of Calvin and Hobbs
Old 06-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstaff View Post
is that the trap in the backround of the pic?? how do you get a bear in a trap in the first place?

The trap has a guillotine type door, the door is raised and sits on a pin attached to a cable that runs along the top and through the back top of the trap. The bait is hung from the other end of the cable, when the bear pulls the bait bag it pulls the pin from the door and the door shuts. In the pic you cant see the cable. There is a "darting" door in the back of the trap, but as you can see in the pic its some times easier to see the bear and dart from the front. Although this can be very dangerous if the bear gets a paw under the door,hes out, you have to trust your partner. I use doughnuts as bait, the problem with that is, the cops keep setting the trap off.