Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Bears

Bears Talk about about bears and how to keep them and you safe.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Default Stuck in the woods with a bear

My friend Dale and I were releasing this bear but I got my vehicle stuck down to the axle. It was very dark and I was backing the up trap and I didn't see a ditch. We had to pull the bear out of the trap so we could unhitch the trap from the vehicle. We were in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception and the night was black as pitch.

We had been using our head lamps to collect samples from the bear and all of a sudden both our lights went dead. So I told Dale I had an extra flash light and we started using that so we could pull the bear out of the trap. As soon as we got the bear out the flash light died, (note to self, check batteries).

In the pic my head lamp is dead and Dale just pointed the camera at me and clicked and thats how it came out. So we laid the bear down and I figured we had 30 minutes before the bear wakes up and is mobile. Dale and I proceeded to dig my truck out, we dug our butts off ,which was hard for me to do cause I aint gotta butt.

We had to jack up the truck and put branches under the tires for traction, we did this at least 5 times, all the while not paying attention to how much time had passed. We spent two hours digging because the truck was on an incline and kept sinking and sliding further into the ditch.

Dale and I were working close together trying to stuff branches under the tires when I became aware of heavy breathing. At first i thought it was Dale deciding to get amorous on a pretty starry night in the woods. But Im not gay and I thought Dale was straight, so as I was about to tell Dale that Im not interested in his advances, when I remembered the bear.

We had completely forgotten about the 500 pound bear that we had brought and RELEASED already. The bear was standing no more than 8 feet directly behind us, I hit the button on my dead flash light and it had enough juice for us to see the bear just standing there panting.

The light quickly went out , then I was temporarily blinded but we just sat tight and I could see the bear standing there and he was very awake. I kept clicking the on/off switch to get the light to turn on for a split second, it looked like a strobe light making the scenario much more scary.

I yelled at the bear as I got to my feet. He spun on a dime and took off running into the woods. I then realized I had a "come-a-long" (hand winch)in the truck that I used to load up vehicle hit bears, I also had straps as well, Dale almost kicked my butt when I told him and we hooked the come-a-long to a tree across the road and pulled the truck out in less than 5 minutes. Heh heh aint that funny ,I guess I got caught up in the moment and didn't think of the resources I had.

P.S. I dont usually wear a cute bear shirt and necklace when I work bears. I was at Dale's house for supper when I got the call that a bear was in my trap.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Stuck in the woods with a bear

another great story!! damn...no offense but...how are you still alive??!! please keep them coming

gotta love that bully smile!

Calvin--"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?"
Hobbs--"I'm not sure that man needs the help."

Bill Watterson author of Calvin and Hobbs
Old 06-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstaff View Post
another great story!! damn...no offense but...how are you still alive??!! please keep them coming

Thanks , one good thing is the bear in that situation really just wants to get away and is trying to focus on where he is....I think..lol
Old 07-01-2009, 05:13 AM
Administrator

I would have been totally freaked out. I have only come in close contact with a little probably 40 pound bear cub and that was enough to scare me! They have big claws and teeth even when they are tiny, I can't imagine being that close to a 500 pound bear!

I think he was grateful you saved him and decided not to have you for dinner .
Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Wow, another great story where I held my breath and then had a good laugh! I too thought, man it's a miracle that this guy is still alive! lol
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 07-01-2009, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks y'all, Im so glad you are reading them.
How do you like my avatar, its sparky!