Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Lost and Found - Adoptions > FREE Dog Adoptions

FREE Dog Adoptions Do you want to adopt a Dog or a Puppy? Or do have a Dog or Puppy that needs a home? List it here. SALES ADS WILL BE DELETED!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Teacup yorkie puppies for ADOPTION..

I have to say I agree that you cannot make money from breeding animals. Any good breeder breeds from the love of the breed not to make money.
My sister and I breed and show rabbits. We make just enough money from the sale of the babies to feed and care for our bunnies. We aren't doing it to make money but because we like the bunnies and enjoy showing and raising them.
I strongly believe that shelters are a good place to look for dogs but I also think that there are places for all the purebred dogs too and There need to be responsible breeders for these dogs.You can't always know what you're getting trait wise with a shelter dog especially if you get a puppy. If you have a particular job you want this dog to do, getting a breed that was bred to do that job is best. I have heard over and over that most dogs in shelters are purebreds so there is no need to buy dogs. Well in our shelters at least very few are purebreds. Again I love mutts, We have one right now and my first dog was a mutt. I loved him dearly. I had to have him put down at a year and a half old because of a nuorological problem.
Just thought I'd add my two cents worth.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator

I've come to notice the difference between dogs and breeds. Breeds are there to show off, dogs are for the heart. I'm guilty of that too, since I prefer Great Danes over all breeds, so I'm not lecturing, just realizing a fact, hehehe.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 04-21-2008, 11:36 AM

very true....but aren't there "personality" traits that certain breeds are atributed to....couldn't that be one of the draws to the breed? i don't know...just a thought

gotta love that bully smile!

Calvin--"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?"
Hobbs--"I'm not sure that man needs the help."

Bill Watterson author of Calvin and Hobbs
Old 04-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Yep, that'll be about the only reason I'd accept, if somebody for example chooses a Border Collie because he needs a working dog for his herd of sheep and breeds that one for just that purpose. I can see how a chihuahua mix wouldn't do any good LOL.

Talking about horders...I just got back from the shelter to get the OK to open an account on petfinder.com in their name. They had a seizure over the weekend, cleaned out a horder: 30 dogs, 11 cats.

So, hopefully I can get at least a few onto petfinder.com and a home this way!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:11 PM

I am actually in the process of training a teeny little chihuahua terrior cross to herd cattle. So far she is my star herding pupil, already outworking both the blue heeler and the collie cross I am working with.

When it comes to temperment of a certain dog, that is purely up to the individual dog.

When it comes to instincts and those "traits" well, the only reason we have different dogs breeds in the first place is that people were trying to achieve an animal best suited for the purpose they have in mind. Hundreds or thousands of years worth of selective breeding can be very hard to erase from a dog.

I love having mutts, in general they are healthier animals, live longer, and can (because of their mixed heritage) be more multi-faceted as talents go. My parents have a german shepard collie cross for example, and combining the loyalty and herding instincts of those two breeds has made her one of the best Babysitting dogs I have ever seen. On the other hand, I think wether you are getting a pure or a cross, everyone getting a dog needs to carefully research fido's breed background before making the commitment. While Queeny the german/collie is a great babysitter and passable at cattle herding, chicken rounding, goose gathering, and general companion... if you dont have her doing something, you better hope she is asleep, or she will drag off or tear up every piece of lawn furnicher you own to entertain herself. Lucky her, she lives on a farm and has grandbabies around a lot now.

A working breed is going to work. A guarding breed is going to show at least some signs of agression. A hunting dog Will hunt everything in your yard or house. So long as these dogs are selected knowingly, they are stellar family members. But all it takes is one person picking un-biased or uneducated to ruin the name of any breed. I've had pure bred animals and mixed. It is my job and passion to train these animals. It has been my experiance that choosing a dog with multiple breed lines in that heritage group gives me a better working dog than what a single line can offer.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Excellent points, Kirial! I'd be afraid that a chihuahua would get hurt or not being taken serious by whatever he's herding. I have a chihuahua mix for 16 years now, bless her lil hold heart, she's bossing everybody around here, even the Danes, but when something is going on, they just run her over. She was hurt a couple of times to the point where I had to take her in for x-rays, but nothing broken.

But I don't doubt for a bit that every dog can do just about every job if taught right. It's just like with people..not everybody can draw like Picasso, but we can all learn to draw a line or 2, hehe.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:27 PM

After reading this thread I'm now stuck with the image of a chihuahua trying to herd a pack of sheep.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:27 PM

I've actually been working with her on a little-used method of herding. We practiced on sheep first as all the other dogs do, but she has graduated to cattle and been working the heifers for two weeks now without injury. She is the only dog in the program right now that has actually been adopted. At the end of her training, she will be used for yearling cattle and pigs. The family does 4-H work and needs a smaller dog that they can have in their in-town home and still easily transport to the feed lot out of town.

The method Tink uses (as her later owners have dubbed her) is called Backing. Rather than running on the ground and risk trample, the dog runs on top of the cattle, leaping from the back of one animal to another to keep them moving. In the case that one breaks from the herd she jumps down and rounds it back toward the herd, then jumps on it's back and starts all over. It takes a very agile and hyper dog to be able to do this, but after all the tests run, Herding is the only thing this dog is good for really.

As a family dog she was far too destructive, and was actually returned to the shelter she was adopted from for that reason. She was a typical little ankle biter, nipping at the kids, being pushy, and getting bored and tearing up pillows and stuffed animals. Since it was her second time at the shelter within a year, despite having obediance classes during her Family stay, she was handed over to me. One turn out with the sheep and watching the way she treated the other dogs was all I needed I to see. Luckily she is bigger than the average Chihuahua, and therefor not as fragile built, so she doesnt break legs jumping up and down.

Her DNA test comes in next week, and while the chihuahua portion is obvious I'm not sure just what the other part is. Looks to be a terrior cross of some kind, or a corgi. She is very long bodied like a corgi, but the legs aren't really short.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:49 PM

Camera came alive just long enough to snap a picture of Tink. As you can see, she's resting up from a hard days work. I wish I could find the pictures of her from when she first got here and tore up all her toys. The look of that nervousness and aggression, with bits of fluff stuck in her hair and teeth was almost disturbing, but it makes me so glad to see her go from such a hellian look to the tired-but-pleased easiness captured in this shot.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Administrator

I betcha Cesar Milan would get a kick out of that!! Great job!!!