Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > News > Animal-related News Stories

Animal-related News Stories Post funny and serious news articles concerning wildlife and pets here.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:26 AM

Talking Calf Saves His Hide, Escapes Slaughter

from http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/waterc...003213437.html and many others (I try to pick news sites without pop-ups)

Calf Saves His Hide, Escapes Slaughter

(AP) MUMBAI, India

A 2-year-old calf saved his own hide on New Year's Day when he refused to be led into a Mumbai slaughterhouse, an animal activist said Wednesday.

The calf was being taken to an abattoir along with hundreds of buffaloes and goats when it charged into a nearby warehouse and kept butchers at bay until he was rescued the next day by animal activists.

J.C. Khanna of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said police called in his team on Monday evening after trying for seven hours to draw the animal out of the warehouse.

Khanna's team was able to get close enough only on Tuesday morning and injected the frightened calf with a sedative. The calf is being treated for injuries incurred while scrambling around the warehouse.

"His body was bruised because he ran around the warehouse and was hit all over," said Khanna. "But he is the luckiest animal out of so many thousands that were slaughtered that day. He saved his own life."

Monday was also the Muslim festival of Eid in Mumbai when sheep, cows, goats and bulls are sacrificed during the religious holiday.

Most people in Hindu-majority India, however, do not eat beef. Hindus worship cows and cow slaughter is limited only to states that have large Muslim populations.

( 2007 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. )
Old 01-08-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Calf Saves His Hide, Escapes Slaughter

Did everyone miss this topic? I thought it was worthy of posting :P
Old 01-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Calf Saves His Hide, Escapes Slaughter

I swore I posted here. lol

Good story. Lucky little calf.