Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Opossums

Opossums All about Opossums.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:01 PM

Default New Charge

The local biologist is newly graduated. She doesn't have much experience in the job. Since she heard I lasted 22 days with a pinkie she thought would be dead in 4-5 she has given me a rehab license. She also dropped off:

Her mom got run over. This little one was wandering about near by. She could not find the den or see if any more are there.

Since this biologist = is new I don't think she got the age right. She told me to use the puppy milk replacer but the Opossum doesn't seen interested in it at all. She also has all her teeth. To test my hypothesis that she is already weaned I placed a spoon of can cat food and she ate it eagerly. I can't get a hold of the Biologist (She is at a conference which is why she put the baby in my care in the first place) to get the proper diet for her age. Someone suggested soaking dry cat food in water then mix 9 parts to 1 part beef liver. Is this correct? Do I have to add anything like egg or fruit?

Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Default Re: New Charge

Oh what a cutie!

What my possies get at that age is PREMIUM dog food (cat food has too much proteins), soaked in water, plus a variety of fruits and veggies every day. I would also offer a dish with watered down (4 parts water to 1 part powder) Esbilac, and a boiled egg every other day. NO meats! And of course a bowl of water...they like to poop in water, so maybe 2 bowls of water.

Do you have an outside enclosure for this baby or does he have to stay inside? If so, make sure he has lots of room to climb at night when he wakes up.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 03-15-2010, 12:28 PM

My mom has named her Fate. She is, give one or two weeks, the same age as Miracle would have been had she lived.

I thought Purina Kitten Chow - original formula - and beef liver is the recommended feed according to the Modified-Jurgelski Diet for Opposums. (90% mix + 10% fruits/veg)

Opossum.org only lists telephone numbers; no e-mail address; and though they list that M-J diet is bad they don't publish a correct diet to follow. Since at least the MJ diet was used in the past and had success I'm reluctant to switch to anything else unless it has a recorded effective rate.

Does anyone have the official diet published for members from opossum.org group?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Too cute! I am so glad you are getting into rehabbing. You really did do an amazing job with Miracle to keep her alive as long as you did.

At that age, I still give my possies formula in a lap bowl once a day and they get chopped fruits and veggies and bil-jac dog food mixed with Purina Cat Chow (I have found the dog foods are too low in protein and the cat food is too high, so I mix the two).