Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Pet Birds

Pet Birds This is the place if you own a pet bird.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Default KEEP TWEETY SAFE WITH BIRD POISON PREVENTION TIPS

KEEP TWEETY SAFE WITH BIRD POISON PREVENTION TIPS

According to statistics compiled by the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), more than 525 instances of pet birds being exposed to potentially dangerous common household items were reported last year. As the majority of companion avians have limited activity outside their cages, poisonings are not common. But birds with free household access are at potential risk of exposure to toxicants. Our experts at the APCC offer the following poison prevention tips to keep your companion avian in the “sing” of things:

* Birds are highly sensitive to inhalant fumes, so please avoid exposing yours to fumes from self-cleaning ovens and overheated cookware, automobile exhaust, tobacco smoke, glues and paints, insecticidal fumigants, perfume and hair spray.

* Keep all prescription and over-the-counter drugs out of beak's reach, preferably in closed cabinets. Pain killers, cold medicines, anticancer drugs, vitamins and diet pills are all examples of human medications that can be lethal to birds, even in small amounts.

* Never allow your bird access to areas in which cleaning agents are being used or stored. Should your pet ingest them, he could suffer from a range of symptoms, depending on the substance, from mild stomach upset to severe burns of the tongue, mouth and crop.

* Foods and beverages that could be dangerous to birds include:
- avocados
- chocolate in any form
- coffee & tea
- moldy or spoiled foods
- onions & garlic
- tomato leaves and stems
- yeast dough

If you suspect your bird has gotten into a potentially poisonous substance, call your veterinarian or the APCC's emergency hotline—(88 426-4435—for round-the-clock telephone assistance. For additional bird safety tips, please visit ASPCA ONLINE
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 08-04-2006, 12:09 PM

Thanks, great to know especially since I intend to let Keeter fly now and then.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Good information MissD.

Another item folks don't think about, the new fangled air fresherners, the plug-in and battery operated ones. Using these in a closed or even a small room can lead to a build up of fumes which can kill a bird.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Re: KEEP TWEETY SAFE WITH BIRD POISON PREVENTION TIPS

Hello,
I am new here and stopped in to ask for some help for a friend of mine. She is getting a Quaker Parrakeet in about 2 weeks and is trying to make her apartment "Bird Safe". I am the proud owner of two Blue and Gold Macaws and have over the years learned to keep away from most household cleaners and such. I use vinegar, baking soda and lemon juice.

However my friend didn't have any pets until now and thus she wasn't always as careful about her environment as she should have been. She had a couch and loveseat treated with "Stainguard" or some such product a few years ago and said at first it stunk to high heaven. Over time the smell has disappated. Yesterday she had them commercially cleaned and she says the smell is as intense as it was when the Stainguard was first applied. She is concerned that it will harm her new baby and so am I. Even if the smell disappates by the time the bird arrives will it be safe? And even if the air is safe will it be safe for the bird to be on the furniture? Would appreciate any information anyone has. We would not want to do anything to injure this much anticipated arrival. My friend is on Social Security so she cannot afford to just get rid of her furniture. Can anyone help us? She is worried sick.

KenoshaMarge
Old 06-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Wow, that's a good one!! And I have no answer for that. But what I would do is to either google or call the company and ask them directly if their product has been tested for safety in that area.

Oh I envy you for your Macaws..all my life I wanted a pair. I will not give up hope that a rescue will come my way one of these days.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:35 PM

Thumbs up Re: KEEP TWEETY SAFE WITH BIRD POISON PREVENTION TIPS

Thanks for trying. I found a number for the ASPCA and gave it to my friend.

My Macaws were rescued from someone's basement. They were brother and sister, 7 years old, kept in a small cage with no toys or anything to entertain them and hadn't even been given names.

Once we brought them home it took months before they would even come out of their cage although we kept the door open all the time. I talked to them for hours at a time and gradually they have come to trust us. If at all possible see if you can find a bird to rescue. So many people think that having a bird would be so "cool" and when they find out they are noisy, messy and can be destructive they lose interest real fast. I have rescued five now from abusive and neglect and the rewards are more than I can express. It's takes time and patience and love but in time the love they give and the amusement and entertainment they provide is a reward to cherish. Watch the paper for people who are selling birds, cages, everything. Usually its either because they can no longer keep them or because they have found the whole experience too much trouble. Good luck and thank you for responding.

Marge
Old 06-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Bless your heart! That's exactly why I do not support the market out there buy purchasing a bird or 2. I'm 45 years old, I would not want to have a baby! I'm surprised I haven't ran into a bird that needed rescuing at all yet. But the surrounding rescuers do have my number.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:18 AM

wow, avocado, onion, garlic, tomato stems. Crazy stuff I wouldn't have thought. But thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

I would like to add, Teflon is lethal when heated to Parrots/birds. My good friend had a rescue which he just stopped accepting unfortunately after taking in around 150 different parrots. He and I received several calls from parrot owners whose parrots a gotten Teflon poisoning.

He has very strict adoption requirements and fees, but has adopted out most of the birds now. However he still has some macaws and others. Missdolittle , too bad your not here=Free macaws
Old 07-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw, macaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaws lol!

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that!