Profile
Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Pet Birds

Pet Birds This is the place if you own a pet bird.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Saviah Wildlife's Avatar
Saviah Wildlife Saviah Wildlife is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 391
Default I gave in... got a pet bird.. parakeet

Here he is, I am using the cage from that wild bird.



I'm going to work with him every day, get him used to me touching him, petting and his climbing on my finger.

I want him to be able to fly in rooms so long as he learns to come to me when called, but I think it might be difficult.

Oh yeah, one of the dish containers broke so for now I have a small bowl type thing with water at the bottom.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-31-2006, 01:55 PM
MissDolittle's Avatar
MissDolittle MissDolittle is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,813
Default

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! What's his name?

Oh, you might want to get a bigger cage sooner or later..from what I saw
the cage for the wild bird is too small for a bird to live in permanently..at
least for my taste.

I see you have a mirror in there, cooooooool. They love it!

I had a parakeet as a teenager. And you know how teenagers can be..
only boyfriends and stuff in their heads lol. Anyways, after a while the
excitement of a 'new' bird got old and I didn't spend much time with him.
One day he was dead. The vet said he died because he was lonely..they
depend on company. If they can't have another bird with them, the human
has to make the commitment, DAILY.

I just thought I share that story..made me feel pretty guilty back then..
__________________
MissDolittle
Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator (Texas)
Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Saviah Wildlife's Avatar
Saviah Wildlife Saviah Wildlife is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 391
Default

[quote="MissDolittle"]CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! What's his name?
No name yet, thinking of waiting for my kids to come back from vacation. My wife is gonna be pissed lol
Quote:
Oh, you might want to get a bigger cage sooner or later..from what I saw
the cage for the wild bird is too small for a bird to live in permanently..at
least for my taste.
They told me it's more then enough room, I'll maybe take another pic so you can better decide for me soon ok?

Quote:
I see you have a mirror in there, cooooooool. They love it!
Yep I see he is at the mirror more then anywhere else in the cage lol. I got lots of toys right off, I spend over $80 already (ouch)

Quote:
I had a parakeet as a teenager. And you know how teenagers can be..
only boyfriends and stuff in their heads lol. Anyways, after a while the
excitement of a 'new' bird got old and I didn't spend much time with him.
One day he was dead. The vet said he died because he was lonely..they
depend on company. If they can't have another bird with them, the human
has to make the commitment.
For now I'm going to spend alot of time with him, the people said I should just keep one so he bonds to me. Later maybe I will think about getting another for a companion. I want to be careful though hopefully males don't fight.

Quote:
I just thought I share that story..made me feel pretty guilty back then..

It's good to know, and I'll make sure to spend time with it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-31-2006, 02:06 PM
WingedCat's Avatar
WingedCat WingedCat is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 466
Default

Congratulations!

Be prepared for lots of Parakeet squaking, they love to do that. lol

Yes they do love mirrors, don't be suprised to see him trying to feed the bird in the mirror one of these days. Mine did that all the time, cracked me up.

Oh and they love anything with bells.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Saviah Wildlife's Avatar
Saviah Wildlife Saviah Wildlife is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 391
Default

Question:

He has a metal band on his leg, should I leave that on him?

I don't plan on taking him outside without being in the cage.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Saviah Wildlife's Avatar
Saviah Wildlife Saviah Wildlife is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedCat
Congratulations!

Be prepared for lots of Parakeet squaking, they love to do that. lol

Yes they do love mirrors, don't be suprised to see him trying to feed the bird in the mirror one of these days. Mine did that all the time, cracked me up.

Oh and they love anything with bells.

Thanks! Yeah I can imagine, birds are funny with mirrors lol

The mirror itself has a bell, and I might pick up another toy or two with a bell.

Edit: Can anyone think of a decent name for me to consider?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-31-2006, 02:11 PM
MissDolittle's Avatar
MissDolittle MissDolittle is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Question:

He has a metal band on his leg, should I leave that on him?

I don't plan on taking him outside without being in the cage.

The ring is his ID, you need to leave it on. The number on it tells where he
comes from and that he was checked out. In times like these with the bird
flu and all..it's a free ticket.
__________________
MissDolittle
Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator (Texas)
Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-31-2006, 07:29 PM
thundersquirrel thundersquirrel is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 88
Default

wow, i wonder if he was imported from somewhere. i didn't think birds in america needed verification for check ups and such. maybe parakeets are especially vulnerable?

he's BEAUTIFUL. i've always wanted a green one.....blue is my second choice, though. i'd probably end up getting one of every color. i'm impulsive like that sometimes. usually i don't follow through though, hehe.

my friend martyna's parakeet got lonely. eventually they decided to let it fly free around the house. that way he came to them and forced them to love him lol. otherwise they'd forget. it was fun sleeping over, cause at the breakfast table it was likely you'd find a parakeet on your head. (only problem with that, though, is that one day it got loose, never came back....they were SO upset)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Saviah Wildlife's Avatar
Saviah Wildlife Saviah Wildlife is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersquirrel
wow, i wonder if he was imported from somewhere. i didn't think birds in america needed verification for check ups and such. maybe parakeets are especially vulnerable?

he's BEAUTIFUL. i've always wanted a green one.....blue is my second choice, though. i'd probably end up getting one of every color. i'm impulsive like that sometimes. usually i don't follow through though, hehe.

my friend martyna's parakeet got lonely. eventually they decided to let it fly free around the house. that way he came to them and forced them to love him lol. otherwise they'd forget. it was fun sleeping over, cause at the breakfast table it was likely you'd find a parakeet on your head. (only problem with that, though, is that one day it got loose, never came back....they were SO upset)

Thanks, now to find a name...

Yeah I love his coloring. It took me like ten minutes to pick one, I was looking at the green one with yellow, the lighter blue with a yellow head then finally I picked this brat.

I'm planning to train him to come to me when I call him, so I won't be clipping his wings. I hope I can pull it off.

Now the wife and kids are away on vacation so it's a surprise. I hope I can have him trained at least somewhat in 3 days... probably not.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-31-2006, 07:52 PM
MissDolittle's Avatar
MissDolittle MissDolittle is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersquirrel
wow, i wonder if he was imported from somewhere. i didn't think birds in america needed verification for check ups and such. maybe parakeets are especially vulnerable?

he's BEAUTIFUL. i've always wanted a green one.....blue is my second choice, though. i'd probably end up getting one of every color. i'm impulsive like that sometimes. usually i don't follow through though, hehe.

my friend martyna's parakeet got lonely. eventually they decided to let it fly free around the house. that way he came to them and forced them to love him lol. otherwise they'd forget. it was fun sleeping over, cause at the breakfast table it was likely you'd find a parakeet on your head. (only problem with that, though, is that one day it got loose, never came back....they were SO upset)

As far as I know all birds need to be banded. At least it's the way in Germany.
It's also one way to prevent smuggling and spreading diseases. Here they
can just confiscate your bird if it's not banded..at least parakeets. It's the
law, that much I know lol.

Michael
..clipping wings on a parakeet? I never heard of that in my life,
but maybe it's an American way like de-clawing cats.

My grandma had a parakeet..his cage was always open. They got so used
to each other that she even took him outside with her. He flew into the
trees or sat by the open window and had a blast. Never flew away.

But they do fly away..few months ago I found a dead parakeet on my
door step. We had watched him flying around here for weeks, couldn't
catch him. We thought he is never going to make it past 2 days, but he
was good..until a cat got him.
__________________
MissDolittle
Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator (Texas)
Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.


Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Squirrel Rescue - Puppy Education - Lost & Found Pets - St Augustine Florida pet friendly vacation rentals

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.