Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Pet Birds

Pet Birds This is the place if you own a pet bird.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:56 PM

Question Bird food

Hi!
I need some advice on bird food, please. It's getting more and more difficult to find commercial bird food that doesn't contain dyed seeds and those processed chow things. Even when we went to the pet stores all of the mixed products had dyed and processed ingredients. I'm thinking that maybe I should just buy the millet, unsalted sunflower seeds, etc. at the grocery store or go to a health food store and get everything and just mix it at home. Does anyone do this? Does anyone have a recipe for parrot and cockatiel food? I would really like to give all my birds a healthy diet and eliminate dyed and processed food. They also get dried fruit and nuts. Another thing I noticed is that all of them are tossing aside or not eating everything in the prepared mixes and I don't think it's because the birds are spoiled, I think the products have gotten inferior. The birds really used to like the prepared mixes and the only difference I can see is the dyed seeds (which stain their beaks) and the processed chow nuggets.
I will look on the net for recipes or a mix I can order but if anyone has any homemade recipes to share we would really appreciate it!

Nadine